The challenge of understanding biological systems from first physical principles is what motivates our research. Biological systems are characterized by remarkable structural complexity at all levels of organization. However, we believe that simple physical models are valuable for describing these systems.
Our laboratory develops multidisciplinary approaches involving:
- Population genetics and evolutionary theory
- Polymer physics theory and simulation
- Statistical interpretation of genome-wide data
A key feature of our approach are the direct collaborations we have with other scientists in the area.
A number of graduate students in the lab are co-advised by an experimentalist. Nearly every student in the lab works directly with our experimental collaborators, contributing both to experimental design, data analysis, and modeling.
Mirny lab servers/software:
- Protein Knots
- Mirnylab on GitHub
- Hi-C data analysis library
- We are working on a new/updated library! Coming 2017!
- Polymer simulation library openmm-polymer